Our history and tradition date back to 1925 with the founding of Banco da Lavoura de Minas Gerais. This bank evolved to become a significant regional bank in the State of Minas Gerais – Brazil. This success led the bank’s shareholders to aspire to having a national presence and this came about in 1972 when the banks denomination was changed to Banco Real S.A. and its headquarters moved to Sao Paulo.
In 1986 the controlling shareholder of Banco Real was granted a license to establish two de novo U.S. national banks – Delta National Bank and Trust Co – New York and Delta National Bank and Trust Co – Florida which years later were merged to become Delta National Bank and Trust Co. with headquarters in New York and a branch in Miami.
In 1998 the commercial banking side of Banco Real S.A. and it’s denomination were sold to ABN Amro Bank, but the shareholders retained the wholesale side which became the Conglomerado Financeiro Alfa led by Banco Alfa de Investimentos S.A..
The Group also has substantial investments in other sectors of the Brazilian economy such as Hotels, Construction Material, Agribusiness, Entertainment and Communications, and Mineral Water.